at the movies
Described by The London Evening Standard as “the UK’s leading standard-bearer for the super-cool era”, star of the West End’s ‘Rat Pack’ Gary Williams presents his latest album AT THE MOVIES. Celebrating some of Hollywood’s greatest musical moments, from Toy Story to Viva Las Vegas, AT THE MOVIES is the coolest release of the year.
Release date 14th September 2017
SMOOTH, SEXY AND VERY COOL
AT THE MOVIES celebrates five decades of Hollywood classics, including Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Love Actually, Toy Story, Saturday Night Fever and Jungle Book. Dipping into jazz, bossa nova, pop and swing there are four lesser known gems from Elvis Presley movies and original takes on standards from Joni Mitchell, Fred Astaire and The Bee Gees.
Hot on the heals of last year’s Christmas album Big Band Wonderland, AT THE MOVIES features some of the UK’s finest musicians, including British Jazz Award winner Nigel Price (Best Guitarist 2016) and Graeme Blevins (sax); with 15 original arrangements from Phil Steel, Paul Campbell and New York’s Caleb Collins.
Marking a departure for Gary, who made his name singing the songs of Frank Sinatra, you'll hear hints of Michael Franks, Nora Jones and Michael Bublé on this contemporary classic.
Cat No. BOS6823 (BOS Records)
Release date 14th September 2017
• Piano/keys Clive Dunstall, Matt Regan • Bass Joe Pettitt • Drums Elliott Henshaw • Guitar Nigel Price • Percussion Chris Traves • Vibes Anthony Kerr • Saxes/flute Graeme Blevins • Reeds Adrian Revell • Trumpet Malcolm Melling • Trombone Chris Traves • French horn Angela Barnes
Free Sample Track
Share this taster track with your friends on Facebook using this code: https://goo.gl/qUyYMd
01. Spooky from Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
02. Almost In Love from Live a Little, Love a Little
03. Both Sides Now from Love Actually
04. Ev’rybody Wants To Be A Cat from The Aristocats
05. Puppet On A String from Girl Happy
06. He’s A Tramp from The Lady and The Tramp
07. How Deep Is Your Love from Saturday Night Fever
08. The Bare Necessities from The Jungle Book
09. I Need Somebody To Lean On from Viva Las Vegas
10. Baby Mine from Dumbo
11. When She Loved Me from Toy Story 2
12. (They Long To Be) Close To You from MirrorMask
13. Isn’t This A Lovely Day from Top Hat
14. Home Is Where The Heart Is from Kid Galahad
15. Pocketful Of Rainbows from G.I. Blues
BOTH Sides Now
MORE ABOUT GARY
Gary has performed everywhere from Bestival to Buckingham Palace. He made his name as a soloist with big bands and concert orchestras, including the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic, the Melbourne Symphony, the BBC Concert Orchestra, Ireland’s RTE and the Lahti Sinfonia Finland. He’s performed at the LA Jazz Institute and regularly at Ronnie Scott’s. As a broadcaster he’s presented for BBC Radio 2, Jazz FM and The Wireless. Playbill called his book ‘Cabaret Secrets’ “an invauable guide”. He’s recorded 15 albums, including 3 at Abbey Road and a Jazz FM album of the week.
Time Out described his shows as “old school virtuosity” and Oscar winning composer Don Black said, “In a world of Pop Idol mediocrity, Gary Williams shines like a dazzling beacon.”
We'll be launching the album at a special event on 14th September 2017, 7pm at London's Crazy Coqs, Picadilly Circus.
Piano: Matt Regan
Bass: Joe Pettitt
Drums: Elliot Henshaw
Then we'll be at Ronnie Scott's on 15th October with the same band, plus Graeme Blevins on sax.