My favourite breakfast right now is Bircher Muesli also known as Swiss Muesli. Basically it’s cold porridge with fruit, and the best I have tasted is on Crystal Cruises. I was lucky enough to share a taxi with one of Crystal’s top chefs who gave me the recipe... enjoy! Note, I especially like their “...berries of your fantasy”.
Recipe for Bircher Muesli
Serves 6 portions
- 2 cups of oats quick
- ½ cup of walnuts, roughly chopped
- ½ cup of almonds, sliced, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 table spoons of raisons (if you do not like raisins, just replace by dried cranberries or any other dried fruit)
- 3 table spoons of honey (sweetness is up to your taste)
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 medium apple, freshly grated
- 1 medium pear, freshly grated
- 1 cup of whipped cream
- 2 cups of yogurt
- 2 bananas, sliced
- Seasonal fruits and berries for garnishing
- One night before mix oats quick, walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, raisins, honey and milk and but in the fridge to soak.
- Before you serve add freshly grated apple and pear.
- Fold in whipped cream and yogurt.
- Garnish with sliced bananas and seasonal fruits and berries of your fantasy.