“I'm lucky, I love show-business” beams Don Hunt as he chats with me about his years as musical director to the stars. Enjoy this special Cabaret Secrets Podcast in conversation with Don as he shares what he's learned from working with Sammy Davis Jr, Bruce Forsyth, Ronnie Corbett, Anthony Newley, Morecambe and Wise, Howard Keel and more.
There are some great stories and tips for what a singer should look for in their musical director. I asked Don what he thought makes a good MD, “Be supportive,” he said, “if the act looks at you, at least look interested!”
“Ego is part of the equipment but there's no need to be a pain in the arse.” Don Hunt
Don's golden rules for entertainers:
- Be yourself.
- Pay attention to detail.
- Be better dressed than your audience.
- Have your music in good shape, clear and easy to read.
- Don't play to the musicians.
- If you're not comfortable telling jokes don't worry, the important thing is to be engaging.
- Don't give up. Keep trying and eventually something will break for you.
Recorded in Sidcup, England on 16th November 2014.
You can read more about working with musicians in chapter 7 of Cabaret Secrets "Love Your Musicians". It's available in paperback or click to download your copy now from Amazon, iTunes, Nook or other formats.